Interstate 85 Accidents in Charlotte
100% Free Accident Case Evaluation!
Charlotte Metro has several major interstates running through the area. These interstates provide easy access to the city in addition to increasing commerce throughout the state. However, interstate travel can be extremely dangerous. High rates of speed, construction zones, commercial vehicles, congested traffic, negligent drivers, and hazardous road conditions can result in deadly interstate crashes.
If you are involved in an Interstate 85 accident, you need an attorney with experience handling interstate accidents. Our Charlotte accident lawyers have experience handling and litigating I-85 accident claims. Our law firm handles truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, and car crashes that occur on the interstate. We fight for the rights of injured drivers and passengers.
Common Causes of Accidents on Interstate 85
I-85 throughout Mecklenburg County passes through several areas, including rural, urban, and suburban areas. Much of Interstate 85 runs through the Charlotte area. Because the interstate provides access to much of the region, traffic is typically heavy regardless of the day or time. Commercial vehicles, cars, and motorcycles utilize the interstate for travel at all hours of the day and night. With this much traffic, it is common to witness multiple interstate accidents during one trip.
Sadly, many of the accidents that occur on I-85 are preventable, just like accidents on other roads. Driver error is a leading cause of crashes along the interstate. Examples of driver negligence that can cause vehicle crashes include:
- Driver Distraction —When traveling at speeds of 70 or 80 mph, a driver must remain fully focused on the road ahead to avoid collisions.
- Impaired Driving —Drunk drivers and drugged drivers pose a threat on any road. However, on the interstate, an impaired driver can cause multi-vehicle pileups.
- Speeding — Approximately one-third of all crashes in North Carolina during 2016 involved a speeding driver. I-85 through Charlotte has some of the fastest speed limits of the area, yet some drivers feel the need to exceed these limits.
- Fatigued Drivers — Fatigued and drowsy driving can be just as dangerous as drunk driving. Commercial truck drivers are particularly vulnerable to drowsy and fatigued driving because of the long hours behind the wheel with little rest or sleep. However, all drivers can suffer from fatigue because of a lack of sleep or a sleep disorder.
- Road Conditions —The NC Department of Transportation has the enormous responsibility of maintaining the roads throughout the state, including Mecklenburg County. However, road debris and dangerous road conditions can occur at any time. Drivers who fail to adjust speeds can cause tragic accidents on the interstate.
Following Interstate 40, Interstate 85 is the second longest interstate in North Carolina. It runs through the state from South Carolina to Virginia. Because it is an important route throughout several southern states, connecting many of the region’s largest cities, it is one of the heaviest traveled routes through North Carolina.
Charlotte I-85 Accident Attorney
After an accident on Interstate 85, it is important to contact an attorney who has experience handling interstate accident claims. In many of these cases, liability is an issue because multiple vehicles are involved in the crash. Sometimes, a crash may also involve other factors that could result in third party claims, such as claims against government entities or road construction companies.
Therefore, investigating the crash to determine liability and gathering evidence before it is lost is crucial. Having an attorney involved in the claim from the beginning can make a significant difference in the outcome of the claim. Interstate 85 accidents in Charlotte can cause severe injuries. Get the help you need to recover the compensation you deserve from the negligent driver or parties who are responsible for the crash. Let us review your case today!